Let us entertain you or enjoy Central England’s finest visitor attractions
On the edge of the National Forest, Upper Rectory Farm Cottages is the perfect base to explore tourist attractions throughout Central England. Located just inside Leicestershire’s border, a five minute drive will see you in Warwickshire, Derbyshire or Staffordshire and you can be in Stratford, Birmingham, Nottingham, The Cotswolds or The Peak District within an hour. There’s also a lovely local pub serving great food, The Globe Inn at Snarestone, just two miles from the cottages.
Families are spoilt for choice with our self catering near Drayton Manor Theme Park, Twycross Zoo and Conkers. For those of a more historical bent, Bosworth Battlefield, National Trust treasure trove, Calke Abbey and Leicester’s Richard III visitor centre are on the doorstep. Shakespeare’s house and gardens are less than an hour’s drive. And for concerts and corporate events, Upper Rectory Farm Cottages are perfect NEC Birmingham accommodation.
Talk to Jean about your interests
Tell Jean about your plans and she can offer helpful travel advice and make suggestions about other things you might be interested so you can make the most of your time with us.
01827 880 448use contact form
We’ve provided a whole list of local visitor attractions below but you don’t have to leave our grounds. We can bring everything from pampering to themed group entertainment to you. Just let us know what you’re looking for and we’ll do our best to oblige. Whatever else you do, throughout your stay you can
Relax and unwind
Holistic treatments Treat yourself or a loved one to a relaxing treatment. Choose from Reiki, Indian head massage, Tibetan head massage, Emotional Freedom Technique or a soothing Hot Stones massage - all in the privacy of your own cottage. The last word in relaxation.
Lazy evenings in Each cottage has a TV, CD player, DVD and a VCR - you can choose from our video library of over 100 titles.
A break from the kids Inside we have bags of board games and more than 50 children’s videos and outdoors there are bats, balls and a large lawned area so they can run off any surplus energy while you relax in comfort knowing the children are safe and busy.
Get active outdoors
Nature walks Stretch your legs along 2 miles of private roads, grass strips on our 200 acre arable farm. In summer explore neatly mown tracks through our cornfields. Or venture further afield on one of the many local walks in the Leicestershire countryside. Rabbits and hares abound, you might spot an owl or even a badger and look out for the local buzzard who has adopted us and will be keeping an eye on you.
Bicycle hire Feeling energetic? Hicks Lodge, set in beautiful young woodland at the heart of The National Forest, offers bike hire and a range of cycle trails suitable for all the family. Or bring the kids’ bikes with you and park them in the shed when they’re not exploring the 2 miles of private traffic-free roads surrounding the cottages.
Harvest trips Jean will take you off-road, across the corn fields to see our combine harvester close-up and deliver tea to harvesters Chris and Andy. They might even invite you to pop up into the cab for a peep! Children love it. Dads need can come too, just to keep an eye on them of course - at least that’s their usual excuse!
Eat in, eat out
Easy Eating In Cooking for a party of sixteen or more might feel a bit daunting. Our excellent caterers will cook a formal meal in The Refectory so you can enjoy your special occasion too. Alternatively the lovely Saffron Catering will deliver a mouth-watering meal for you to serve yourself (we won’t tell if you don’t). This is self catering near Drayton Manor the easy, Upper Rectory Farm way.
Barbecue A balmy evening, the setting sun, a cool beer or a glass of wine - and the smell of juicy steaks or tasty sausages sizzling on the barbecue - the perfect recipe for family self catering near Drayton Manor after the thrills of the roller-coasters. Just ask and Jean will wheel a portable barbecue to your door and try the to-die-for locally sourced bacon and sausages from Taylors, the butcher at the bottom of the drive.
Did we mention our self catering cottages are near Drayton Manor them park? Actually, within an hour or so’s drive, you can reach hundreds of visitor attractions. Here’s our selected shortlist of attractions and activities. We’ve also listed drive times to our nearest airports and railway stations in case relatives or colleagues are travelling from further afield.
- Twycross Zoo (5min drive)
- Conkers (10min drive)
- Snibston Discovery Park (20min drive)
- National Space Centre (30min drive)
- Drayton Manor Park (20min drive)
- Shackerstone Railway (5min drive)
- Stonehurst Family Farm and Museum (50min drive)
- Ash End House Children's Farm (30min drive)
- Broomey Croft Children's Farm (30min drive)
- Cadbury World, Birmingham (1hr 0min drive)
- Sea World, Birmingham (1hr 0min drive)
- Tropical Birdland, Desford (20min drive)
- Calke Abbey (15min drive)
- Bosworth Battle Field (15min drive)
- Tamworth Castle (15min drive)
- Ashby Castle (15min drive)
- Moira Furnace (10min drive)
- Donington Le Heath Manor House (20min drive)
- Coors (Bass) Museum (30min drive)
- Donington Grand Prix Collection (20min drive)
- BellFoundry Museum (30min drive)
- Tutbury Castle (40min drive)
- Lichfield Cathedral (30min drive)
- Great Central Railway (40min drive)
- Shugborough Hall, Rugeley (1hr 10min drive)
- Sudbury Hall Museum of Childhood (50min drive)
Leisure & Outdoor Pursuits
- Exploring The National Forest (15min drive)
- Cycling at Hicks Lodge, the National Forest Cycle Centre (15min drive)
- Walking (0min drive)
- Staunton Harold Reservoir (20min drive)
- Canal trips (20min drive)
- Bradgate Country Park (40min drive)
- Market Bosworth Country Park (15min drive)
- National Memorial Arboretum (25min drive)
- Rosliston Forestry Centre (25min drive)
- Beehive Farm Centre (25min drive)
- Beacon Hill (40min drive)
- Horseriding (20min drive)
- Ferrers Craft Centre, Staunton Harold, Ashby (20min drive)
- Curborough Craft Centre, Lichfield (30min drive)
- Heart of the Country Shopping Village (25min drive)
- Arthur Price Factory Shop - Lichfield (15min drive)
- Crown Derby Visitor Centre (45min drive)
- Birmingham Jewellery Quarter (45min drive)
- The Mailbox Birmingham (45min drive)
- Plantasia, Dobbies Garden Centre, Atherstone (15min drive)
- Tutbury Crystal, Tutbury (35min drive)
- Denby Visitor Centre, Denby, Derbyshire (45min drive)
- The Mushroom Basket, Packington (20min drive)
- Cattows Farm Shop, Heather (15min drive)
- Woodlands Nurseries, Hinckley (20min drive)
- Skiing, Skating, Snow Boarding at The Snowdome (20min drive)
- Water sports at Bosworth Water Park (15min drive)
- Golf at The Belfry and Willesley Golf Club (20min drive)
- Clay Pigeon Shooting at Garlands Shooting Grounds (20min drive)
- Ten Pin Bowling at Tamworth (20min drive)
- Swimming at Ashby-de-la-Zouch, Tamworth and Swadlincote (20min drive)
- Leisure Centres
- Tennis at Hood Park, Ashby and Tamworth (20min drive)
- Jet Biking at Kingsbury Water Park (25min drive)
- Racing at Uttoxeter, Leicester, Warwick and Stratford
- Motor Racing at Mallory Park and Donington (20min drive)
- Scuba Diving at Stoney Cove (25min drive)
- Quad Biking, Archery, Paint balling at Garlands (15min drive)
Talk to us today about your booking
We offer highly bespoke bookings for our guests. We can cater for up to 22 (18 beds in 11 separate bedrooms + three sitting rooms) across our corporate suite of three interconnected cottages.
Prices are based on the number of guests / bedrooms / cottages booked. Please ring or email for details.
Call / email:
01827 880 448
Use our quick contact form:
Thanks for contacting us. We’ll be in touch shortly. We always reply promptly to enquiries so please check your email junk folder in case our message has been delivered there instead of your inbox. If you have not heard from us within 48 hours, please call 01827 880448.
Your Cottage LocationOpen in Maps